You will need
- Butter, to coat pan
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14 oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 1 cup cashews, finely chopped
- zest of 1/2 lemon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound frozen puff pastry
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a shallow 2 x 5 x 9-inch loaf pan with waxed paper and grease with butter.
2. Warm the oil in a saucepan over moderate heat, add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, uncovered, until any liquid has evaporated: about 3 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, cashews, lemon zest, basil, and all but 2 teaspoons of the egg (reserved for glazing). Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top. Bake until the center is firm to the touch: 45-60 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool then turn the pate out of the pan, wrap in foil or plastic wrap, and cool in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
6. On a lightly floured board, roll out the puff pastry to a 12-inch square. Cut off the top third, measuring 12 x 4 inches.
7. Place the pate on the smaller piece of pastry and drape the larger piece of pastry over the top, covering the pate completely. Ease the pastry down the sides and press the edges firmly together at the bottom, sealing with water. Trim, makes steam holes in the top, and glaze with the beaten egg. Bake until the pastry is crisp and puffed up: 25-30 minutes. Serve at once.