Monday, April 11 is National Pet Day, and that means you can share pictures with your pet on social media with no excuse. Pets are heaven on Earth and should be honored. From dogs and cats to more offbeat animals like hamsters and iguanas, there are a wide variety of nonhuman companions that people in the United States and around the world call their best friends.
Having a pet has magnificent benefits on your health. It has already been shown that dogs can detect early signs of cancer and alert people before a seizure. And in the recent study, 97 per cent of those polled also said that their mental health was better thanks to their pets.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pets can help lower one’s blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and triglyceride levels. They can help people live healthier lives. Having a pet also reduces feelings of loneliness, and increases opportunities for socialization. People often stop to talk to others who have pets, and pets are great at keeping people from feeling alone.
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” — Josh Billings
- “A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance and to turn around three times before lying down.” — Robert Benchley
- “Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.” — Agatha Christie
- “No animal has more liberty than the cat … The cat is the best anarchist.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Animals are my friends … and I don’t eat my friends.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” — Colette
- “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.” — Samuel Butler
- “Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and a responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.” — James Cromwell
- “Animals are such agreeable friends — they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.” — George Eliot
10.“Perhaps the greatest gift an animal has to offer is a permanent reminder of who we really are.” — Nick Trout
- “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it.” — Amy Sedaris
- “When an 85-pound mammal licks your tears away, then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.” — Kristin Higgins
- “Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.” — Emily Dickinson
- “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.” — James Herriot
- “Happiness is a warm puppy.” — Charles Schulz
Thus celebrate with your pup or kitten and give them a little extra love today!